I would sujest that you decide what is your focus, what do you want people
to notice first.  A certain tree, plants, animal?  Place those on the wall
with a light pencil setch or traceing paper thumbnails.  Use as many photo
referances as needed.  After you have your main focus parts of the mural in
place- the rest will just fill in with the referance photos.  Large piecies
of tracking paper can be used to move( just a thumbnail outline of the
object) if you are not sure where to place your focus objects.   Murals are
so much fun.