I've begun some work that would be easier with wider brushes than I
currently possess.  I'm wanting brushes in the 2 to 3 inch range, perhaps
even larger.  These brushes from art supply houses come in two styles:
cheap, wherein the bristles fall out first or second use (I had the head
fall off one I bought from Dan Smith), and, umm, ridiculously expensive
considering the intended use.  There are, of course, a few choices that
could work well, especially the comparatively moderately priced "Freestyle"
series by Liquitex.

I'm wondering, however, if a trip to the local hardware store might be the
best option.

If anyone has experience with using brushes in the 2 to 4 inch range,
including those from the hardware store :), kindly allow me the benefit of
your experience.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA