I do the same that Linda describes, Lore; be sure to include a "kill
fee" in the contract language as well, so you get paid what you have
into it if they pull the job.

If you have to shell out a lot up front to start, you could ask for a
percentage right at the start to cover those expenses, or at least
stipulate that you will be reimbursed immediately when you submit invoices.

Gail

Gail Guth
Guth Illustration & Design
139 Lathrop Avenue