My 2 cents, as commissioned works take time for me to do, but more
importantly, there is often a long lag in the time it takes my clients
to get back to me. If I am worried about this and don't know the client,
I will invoice in 3 stages: 1/4 (non-refundable) down payment, 1/4 upon
pencil draft, 1/2 upon completion.

Linda V.

On 12/11/2013 8:14 AM, Lore Ruttan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I usually do smallish jobs and just ask for payment upon delivery.
> However, I've been commissioned to make a large painting commemorating
> a capital campaign and it will take me quite some time and involve a
> good chunk of money. Stages in the project are to finalize the list of
> species that will be painted, complete a detailed rendering of the
> composition that they can make a banner with, and then the final
> piece. Should I ask for a portion of the payment at each of those
> stages? Just the banner and final piece stages? What do others do?
>
> Thanks! Lore
>
> --
> /Lore Ruttan, /Ph.D.
>
> Lore Ruttan Illustration <http://www.loreruttanillustration.com>
>
> Visit my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/Paperlore

> instructions at

Linda Ann Vorobik, PhD Botanist, Botanical Artist
www.VorobikBotanicalArt.com, blogging at: http://vorobikbotanicalart.blogspot.com/
PO Box 866, Lopez Island, WA 98261; 360-468-3188; cell 510-520-2423