My 2 cents, as commissioned works take time for me to do, but more importantly, there is often a long lag in the time it takes my clients to get back to me. If I am worried about this and don't know the client, I will invoice in 3 stages: 1/4 (non-refundable) down payment, 1/4 upon pencil draft, 1/2 upon completion.

Linda V.