looks like an automated way of setting up a similar process as we
discussed on list a while back (which was reprinted in a  recent
journal.) the key difference between the two is that in my approach, the
base stipple pattern is created by our own hand. so the follow-up
handwork would sit better in the mix. there does seem to be some nice
tweakability inside this filter. a perfect union would be if the filter
allowed you to define a large swatch of hand drawn stipples as a preset.
the result would never be refined as a carefully crafted stipple render.
but it would allow a quick option for those of us who are required to
develop a tonal study as a preliminary stage.

-frank