If you are removing white backgrounds from black line art by using the magic want selection tool,
that is very likely to "eat" your fine detail.  I have been using a PSD Action that I acquired on
the web some years ago that removes the white component of an image leaving the color on a
transparent layer. Of course this assumes you can make your paper pure white in the scan of the art...

Do a Google search on "PSD Action Transparency White" to find some links for this.

Britt