*Season's Greetings, GNSI!* Winter has arrived, in many places with a
vengeance, and the holiday season is in full gear... take a few moments
to relax and warm up from all that shoveling or shopping or decorating,
and check out the latest news and information on /your/ GNSI web site!

      DONATE TO GNSI THE EASY WAY - Buy Amazon!
      <http://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-1119634>

If you are going to shop at Amazon, consider going to smile.amazon.com
<http://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-1119634> and start there to help the
GNSI. Amazon Smile will donate 0.05% of your purchases (eligible
products are marked "Eligible for AmazonSmile donation") to the GNSI if
you choose us as your charity of choice.

The interface is exactly the same as regular Amazon, and you can use
your Amazon account as you normally would. The link here has the GNSI
non-profit code in it so your purchases will be linked to GNSI for
donation purposes.

Now you have an even better excuse to buy, buy, buy!

      BLOG

*PAINTING THE DESERT IN TUSCON
<http://www.gnsi.org/blog/painting-desert-tucson>*
Guest blogger Linda Feltner recounts her recent Sky Island Paint-out at
Tumamoc Hill in Tuscon, AZ; read all about it here...

*HOW TO GET STARTED AS A SCIENCE ILLUSTRATOR
<http://www.gnsi.org/blog/how-get-started-science-illustrator>*
GNSI member Kalliopi Monoyios used her Symbiartic blog this week to
offer good advice on questions we get all the time: How do I get started
as a Science Illustrator? She breaks it down into five steps...

      EVENTS

*GNSI-DC HOLIDAY PARTY 2013
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/meeting/gnsi-dc-holiday-party-2013>*
*EVENT DATE:* December 17, 2013 - 5:30pm - 8:00pm
*LOCATION:* Smithsonian Natural History Museum, 10th and Constitution
Ave., Washington, D.C.,
Cathy Kerby Room of the NMNH (3rd Floor, East Court, phone: 202-633-2001)

Please join us for this year's GNSI Holiday Pot Luck and Portfolio
Share! Join us in a celebration of art and artists! Bring a dish to
share and please bring your portfolio, or some samples of your recent
work, or anything you would like an opinion on. If you are not an
artist, come and see some science art!

*ARTIST RESIDENCY PROGRAM AT THE CALIFORNIA ACADEMY OF SCIENCES 2014
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/exhibit-call/artist-residency-program-california-academy-sciences-2014>*

*APPLICATION DEADLINE*: December 13, 2013

/One Truth, Many Lies: A New View of Art & Natural History Collections/,
a new Artist Residency Program at the California Academy of Sciences, is
seeking applications from West Coast visual artists for 2-3 day
residencies in the spring/summer of 2014.

*CREATURE DESIGN CONTEST
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/exhibit-call/creature-design-contest> *
*ENTRY DEADLINE:* Dec. 12, 2013

Creature artist Terryl Whitlatch, well known for her work on Star Wars
movies, presented a keynote and workshop at last year's GNSI meeting.
She has her own production company now and she is holding a creature
drawing contest that some of you might be interested in..../more
information and a link/

      EXHIBITS

*NATURE'S CAMOUFLAGE: GNSI-GNY EXHIBIT
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/exhibit/natures-camouflage-gnsi-gny-exhibit>
EVENT DATE:* November 9 - December 2, 2014
*LOCATION:*
The Lofts @ Beacon
18 Front Street, Beacon, NY, 12508
845.831.7867

/Nature's Camouflage/ celebrates select works from the Greater New York
chapter of the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators. Camouflage and
mimicry subtly surround us in the natural world and these twenty-one
artists capture the breadth of this challenging theme in both
interesting and inspiring ways.

*FOCUS ON NATURE XIII
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/exhibit/focus-nature-xiii> *
*EXHIBIT DATES:* Apr.18, 2014-Jan. 5, 2015

The New York State Museum is pleased to announce the artists selected
for the /Focus on Nature XIII/ exhibition. The GNSI has a strong showing
of members in the new FON! Twenty-five of the seventy-one artists chosen
are GNSI members and are listed here. Congratulations!

      FORUM

*Improving skills and career possibilities during PhD
<http://www.gnsi.org/forum/science-illustration-education/improving-skills-and-career-possibilities-during-phd>*
"I was wondering, in case I start a PhD (my most plausible destinations
being England or Finland), what I could do during that period to still
have the chance to possibly purchase a career in SI when I finish."

That's it for now...more to come, check back in regularly for the latest
news!

/*PLEASE NOTE:* The Fall issue of the Journal is still in production,
but it is nearly ready for print. Please be patient, everyone was
particularly busy this season. /

/Peace and safe travels to all, whether visiting or shopping, and Happy
Whatever Holiday(s) you celebrate!
Gail Guth
GNSI Communications & Outreach Director/

--
Gail Guth
Guth Illustration & Design