looks like an automated way of setting up a similar process as we discussed on list a while back (which was reprinted in a  recent journal.) the key difference between the two is that in my approach, the base stipple pattern is created by our own hand. so the follow-up handwork would sit better in the mix. there does seem to be some nice tweakability inside this filter. a perfect union would be if the filter allowed you to define a large swatch of hand drawn stipples as a preset. the result would never be refined as a carefully crafted stipple render. but it would allow a quick option for those of us who are required to develop a tonal study as a preliminary stage.

-frank