I am not an expert at all in that type of job, but if it's such a big jproject, my instinct tells me you could ask for a portion to start (which can cover a lot of material cost) and the remaining when completed. Again, I don't deal with these type of jobs, so let's see what others might suggest...
All the best!
Aurore

Aurore Simonnet - Scientific Illustrator
NASA EPO - Sonoma State University
http://epo.sonoma.edu