Hi Julie,

When it's a logo, the only right I reserve is for my portfolio and personal promotion- I know stories of people charging very little for a design for a small company that becomes giant, like Nike- but my thought is that as long as I am getting paid a fair hourly rate, that's OK by me when I have a winning company's logo in my own portfolio (not that I do, but I can hope!)

. However, on the rare occasion when I have a regular illustration contract, and in my art-for-sale work,  I reserve all the rights I can manage.  I figure the mushroom graphic for tshirts etc. as sort of a logo, so I would just treat it that way if it were me.

Yes, I send along hours it will take, for each stage, I figure the client likes to see where the money breakdown is- or at least, I like to justify my price!

 I think watermarks is a good idea for you, since I am assuming the work will be in your full-color painting style- the logo I had stolen was from an approved final sketch, that then the company backed out of paying and cancelled the contract- rendered into screenprint-ready logo-style by a less-than competent, but free, artist- I discovered later it was the school owner's wife.  At least I learned I need to charge at the different stages from that, so I count it as "continuing education" :)

Happy to help, I know how confusing it was when I started getting these kind of jobs.  Now, it's a small but satisfying sideline- it is curiously rewarding to see my picture randomly around town on people's jackets, tshirts and bumper stickers.

Maia