Hi Julie
I'm new to this listserve (though I've been doing medical and science illustration for almost 20 years) so I hope I'm not speaking out of turn. But I've found of a Letter of Agreement (similar to a Contract) that includes the brief, the cost or hourly rate, delivery schedule, and rights of usage to be extremely useful, even for small groups like your mushroom client. I've got mine down to less than two pages so that clients will actually read it... it also confirms who has authority to give approval of various stages and where and to whom the invoice will be addressed. Most of my work is fixed price but I put in this document the hourly rate that is applied after a certain number of changes have been requested. There is a line explaining the rights to use the work by the client only begins when work is paid in full. Mention a kill fee so everyone knows what to do in the unlikely (but not unheard of) event that the project is cancelled.

Technically it's not a contract... I don't have the requirements for a legal contract in front of me but this document is intended more to head off a lot of problems with clear communication, up front. I highly recommend all new illustrators to get in the habit of taking the time to make these for even the small jobs (which can become larger, you never know). Good fences make good neighbors.

Also, consider assigning usage rights to this client, even if they are pretty all encompassing, rather than transferring copyright. For instance, you can give them the right to use the design on any of their club material but put in the letter of agreement that any other usage must be with permission. You don't have to charge them for other uses, but it keeps up your relationship. And you still retain the copyright - they can't sell the design on or have a go at 'improving' it. Not that they are likely to, but still good practice to keep the copyright when the client really doesn't need it. You never know you may want to use part of this design years later and not be in fear of infringing on your own work.

By the way, I didn't start using these regularly until about 10 years ago and I've just found it helps so much, wanted to encourage others!
Beth Croce, CMI
medical artist and director, Bioperspective.com
biomedical art, illustration & jewelry

of  It's not overly wordy in legalese but