Thanks everyone for your suggestions how to categorize my work and assign %s! It gives me more confidence to ask for payment up front or part-way. I know these people and trust them but I also know they are soooo slow. The proposal deadline was a year and a half ago and they have just made a decision!

Thanks! Lore

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Anne Runyon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Lore,
Linda’s advice is good.
I have worked with similar arrangements for my mural art, and it works very well for me.
Annie

From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Linda Feltner
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] question about timing of payment

Hi Lore:
For a project of this size, requiring several submittals for review, I would definitely ask for partial payments per submittal. A percentage of the project might be established for the (1) Draft Rendering and (2) final art. So much labor goes into the Draft, that it may deserve a larger percentage.  (80% of my work is done before I do the final art) Plus the client may want revisions after the draft rendering.

I usually divide the submittals into three: 1. Pencil draft with loose drawings of specific species place in the composition. Then the client reviews and makes comments. 2. Final Draft, a detailed rendering incorporating their previous comments. I specify that any changes in concept after this review might incur extra time and materials.  When all is approved, then I do the 3. Final Art.  That allows the client of make changes in the drafts so not so much detailed work is wasted.

I ask for percentages of the contract amount at each of those submittals, with the largest percentage at the "Final Draft" stage.
I know of other illustrators who get to the Final Draft stage and the client pulls the job, and even gets another, cheaper artist to do the final art. This has not happened to me, but when percentages of work are in place, clients will get the message that you will be paid for the amount of work you do.

Just a thought.

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615