Do your clients then have full rights to use the image after you've sent it to them, or do you get a percentage of the merchandise profits?

Julie,

Logos aside (I consider these in a separate realm from most illustration commissions), in most cases - and ESPECIALLY those where funds are extremely limited, or the work is pro bono, my rates apply to a specific use(s) only, and I retain copyright. That use might be one-time, like a published book; or for life, as in the case of museum signage that could last indefinitely (both of these "durations of use" would be outlined in the contract).

You might even approve the the artwork for multiple uses, it's just wise to spell them all out ahead of time. When dealing with a client that has the means, multiple uses should really be factored into the fee for the work (more uses means higher price). If a client wants the freedom to use the art on whatever they want, whenever they want, they have the option of a full buyout, or full rights transfer, for a different additional fee.

Do you own the Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethics? It's put out every few years and contains really helpful, pretty thorough overviews of how to set up illustration contracts/agreements to account for all of these options (type of use, duration of use, exclusivity, etc). Contracting and illustration rights management is not easy, and every project/client is a little different, but there are industry standards, and the GAG book provides excellent places to start from - including sample contracts. It's been indispensable to me throughout the years...

Here's the GAG website (you can get it a few bucks cheaper on Amazon)
https://www.graphicartistsguild.org/handbook

Beth is spot-on with her comments as well. ;)

-N