It is not digital.

Clamp it to a desk, and position it so the lens/prism is over your blank paper and also facing whatever it is you want to draw. You look down into it. What you see is your subject "projected" on to the blank paper. It doesn't actually project itů you see it through the prism. And you can then also see your pencil point, and can trace the image.

Refer to the figure "camera lucida in use" on this wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_lucida

You need to take care to maintain the same position over the lens/prism. If you move, your drawing moves. So starting a drawing and coming back to it the next day is problematic at best.

Karen