I would sujest that you decide what is your focus, what do you want people to notice first.  A certain tree, plants, animal?  Place those on the wall with a light pencil setch or traceing paper thumbnails.  Use as many photo referances as needed.  After you have your main focus parts of the mural in place- the rest will just fill in with the referance photos.  Large piecies of tracking paper can be used to move( just a thumbnail outline of the object) if you are not sure where to place your focus objects.   Murals are so much fun.