Hi Tricia
Look at

Efland, A. D. (1990). *A history of art education*. new york: Teachers
College Press.

Also, the following are exerpts from my dissertation:
"Massachusetts passed the country’s first “Drawing Act” in 1870, which
required that drawing be included as one of the nine essential subjects
taught in all state public schools.  By 1898, newly-hired teachers in New
York were expected to pass a proficiency exam in drawing skills (New York
Times, 1898). "
"...students studying the natural sciences at North Carolina State
University (then, the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic
Arts) at the turn of the 20th century were required to take drawing classes
for one hour daily – five credit hours per semester. The purpose of this
drawing course was to “learn to observe and become familiar with the little
details incident to agricultural pursuits” (Catalogue of the NC College of
Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, 1890). " - Landin 2012

Jennifer

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Tricia Cassady
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was just wondering if any of you knew of any articles or research about
> science students being required to take classes in art during the 1800's to
> the early 1900's.
>
> Somehow I remember there being information about this but I can't put my
> finger on it.
>
> Thank you ahead of time
>
> Tricia Cassady, President
> GNSI- New England Chapter