Yes I do let them go for winter, here in the oaks and manzanita zone, there are so many crevices and holes  and rocks where they hibernate. I'd rather they do it naturally. I don't keep them that long anyway. I'd rather they get the nutrition of their natural food source, but I do fatten them up on meal worms so they handle the stress of being released. This was a fantastic grasshopper year, Wow. We leave the old downed oaks lying here on the two acres. (Some neighbors clean up their property- they think we are those "weird nature  tree huggers"). The trunks decompose and provide homes for all sorts of critters. Great spiders too.

"My" tarantula, Erica, was taken by something this summer.The entrance was clawed up. I watched her burrow for about 6 years, visiting her each night. The burrow was in the back yard. She was cool.

We live in a great place.
Cheers,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC