I like the Purdy brushes. I do a lot of my own interior work to save money on the house. They seem to have the best spring and longevity and, more importantly for me, a nice chisel edge.

Your 2" sash will probably do for you. I find the angled brushes pretty versatile but you may prefer the square ones.

Occasionally I lose a hair over time but not often. They're synthetic, nylon I think, so good with both oil and acrylic; should be carried by most major hardware stores or online.

Also, might be less expensive than the Liquitex, dunno....

Kathy G

On Dec 28, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Bruce Bartrug wrote:

> Thanks much, Chris.  I forgot to mention that this application involves oil paint, and possibly acrylic in the near future.  But I'll give the bristle brushes you mentioned a try, and thanks for the "conditioning" info.
>
> Bruce
>

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Iíve had pretty good luck with hake brushes for large washes.
>
>  If youíre going really large the cheap chip brushes from the hardware store are my favorites.  They need a bit of conditioning/working to get the loose bristles out before you launch into anything for real but hold together fairly well after that.  A fairly vigorous wash first should do the trick.
>
> Chris
>

> On Dec 28, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Bruce Bartrug <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I've begun some work that would be easier with wider brushes than I currently possess.  I'm wanting brushes in the 2 to 3 inch range, perhaps even larger.  These brushes from art supply houses come in two styles:  cheap, wherein the bristles fall out first or second use (I had the head fall off one I bought from Dan Smith), and, umm, ridiculously expensive considering the intended use.  There are, of course, a few choices that could work well, especially the comparatively moderately priced "Freestyle" series by Liquitex.
>>
>> I'm wondering, however, if a trip to the local hardware store might be the best option.
>>
>> If anyone has experience with using brushes in the 2 to 4 inch range, including those from the hardware store :), kindly allow me the benefit of your experience.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Bartrug
>> Nobleboro, Maine, USA
>> www.brucebartrug.com
>>
>> The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.  - Albert Einstein

> --
> Bruce Bartrug
> Nobleboro, Maine, USA
> www.brucebartrug.com
>
> The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.  - Albert Einstein

Kathleen Garness

home: 708-366-7584
cel: 708-698-6159 (weekends)
http://asba-art.org/member-gallery/kathleen-marie-garness