Linda,

In some of my work in INDD, I have noticed color shifts.  INDD is primarily a page layout program.  I would stay with either Illustrator or Photoshop, where I complete all my scanning, photographic and painterly effects.  Perhaps this might be the time for her to bite the bullet and go to a program that is specific to the this kind of artwork.

When I did a color enhancement of the graphite portion of my Monarch illustration (Photoshop), I separated the butterfly from the gray portion - using layers, used some masking techniques; don’t remember exactly what they were (used CS4, I believe).  Then used levels to bring up the graphite portion, that helped immensely!  My electronic design professor at UGA guided me.

If given the choice, I would go with Photoshop, since the exercise involves .psd, tiff, using grayscale, etc.  I would leave INDD for page layout and minimum graphic enhancements.  Other folks may also have some guidance here.

All the best!

“OC” Carlisle