From: Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 09:48:26 -0700
To: LIST SERV discussion <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [SCIART] Sky Island Paint-out on Tumamoc Hill with Linda M. Feltner

Check out Paul Mirocha's Tumamoc Sketchbook blog!

I asked fifteen artists to join me on Tumamoc Hill, Tucson, AZ, for a day to paint at the U of A Desert Lab. The landscape is a working lab and the public is restricted to the paved road that extends to the top of the hill, where petroglyphs and artifacts from an Anasazi community can be found. The historic stone buildings provided facilities as well as wonderful subjects to draw. This living laboratory gave us an ungroomed Sonoran Desert landscape. I would like to offer more workshops at this fascinating place.

The Sky Island Paint-out was organized as an opportunity for artists to explore this new landscape to paint in Tucson. I started the day with a "Today's Focus" challenge that would encourage artists to think and sketch differently.

Paul Mirocha, Resident Artist, facilitated this event, and has written an article for the Tumamoc Sketchbook. Paul's blog highlights the interview of my goals and "Today's Focus" assignment, and is illustrated with images of the sketches produced.

Paul gave us an introduction to the value of this island of desert in the boundary of Tucson, and gave us much to think about while we sketched.  We all had a wonderful experience, the weather was pleasant, and we all want to do it again soon.

I want to especially thank Paul, in facilitating this opportunity to paint and inspiring us all.

The link below is of the Tumamoc Sketchbook. Check it out!
http://tumamocsketchbook.com/?p=3164

Very best,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC