You will have a hard time making a good looking image on a colored background in INDD if the image does not have a tight transition from solid to transparent. The TIF format can be used to transfer transparency into INDD.  I have found this best to achieve with a 4 color build in Photoshop and the art placed over it and carefully integrated with the needed transparency.

If you leave the color build as a separate layer and save as a PSD file, she can edit the flat color to match her own builds. INDD likes PSD file just fine.

If you need vector art included that is too noodley  for some INDD overlay, you need to bring the art into Illustrator. Illustrator understands PSD and TIFF for transparency as well, then save as Illustrator with PDF compatibility for placement, or go the traditional EPS route.

Britt Griswold