Alright this is ehat I want you to do. In photoshop take the layer that has the image...if it is called background and it is locked duplicate the background layer. This will become Layer 1. Use the color selection tool on layer 1 and select the background color with a range of 200. This will select the white color. Hit delete. Conert they layer to grsyscale. Hide the background layer save as PSD. With only layer 1 visible you shoukd now have only the grsycale image. Make sure yiu have a pixel rezolution of 600 dpi. Export or save as EPS with 8 bit TIF bitmap for placement. Test fike by bringing into INDD... see how that works. Best. Deb

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From: Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: [SCIART] question about InDesign
Sent: Fri, Dec 6, 2013 3:12:14 PM

Hi Deb:
Yes, that is correct, it's a banner-like entry sign. Dark background, the sketches are watermarked (80% appx) behind large lettering that is very light in color.

you may drop an image file TIF grayscale and then have it take on a specfic pantone or ink color within INDesign.

Yes, grayscale works beautifully. but she can't colorize it and maintain transparent background. I've not gotten it to do that in my experiments, either.
Maybe I'll try with TIFF again. I think I've given her PSD files.

I have scanned sketchbook images. These are the draft images. The final images have yet to be drawn, but I have to provide an image document where yet ANOTHER graphic designer in charge of pre-press can just substitute my draft FPO file for the high res file. That scares me a LOT.
Especially I am unfamiliar with how INDD incorporates these documents.

If I can just give her a grayscale document, and all the colorizing is done in the INDD document, then I think the substitution could go smoothly. I do this all the time in AI and PSD. But it's just not the same in INDD. or else I'm just not knowledgeable in-depth in INDD>.

I've not done a duotone.

I was going to ask if it was spot color or full color, but my guess is full color CMYK.

Yes, I'm trying to work within  her system she's already developed, in order to keep the colors consistent. I don't care what it looks like on screen, she is designating either PMS colors or color profiles for CMYK colors. So it should at least be consistent when printed.

Many thanks!
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325