Season's Greetings, GNSI! Winter has arrived, in many places with a vengeance, and the holiday season is in full gear... take a few moments to relax and warm up from all that shoveling or shopping or decorating, and check out the latest news and information on your GNSI web site!

DONATE TO GNSI THE EASY WAY - Buy Amazon!

If you are going to shop at Amazon, consider going to smile.amazon.com and start there to help the GNSI. Amazon Smile will donate 0.05% of your purchases (eligible products are marked "Eligible for AmazonSmile donation") to the GNSI if you choose us as your charity of choice.

The interface is exactly the same as regular Amazon, and you can use your Amazon account as you normally would. The link here has the GNSI non-profit code in it so your purchases will be linked to GNSI for donation purposes.

Now you have an even better excuse to buy, buy, buy!

BLOG

PAINTING THE DESERT IN TUSCON
Guest blogger Linda Feltner recounts her recent Sky Island Paint-out at Tumamoc Hill in Tuscon, AZ; read all about it here...

HOW TO GET STARTED AS A SCIENCE ILLUSTRATOR
GNSI member Kalliopi Monoyios used her Symbiartic blog this week to offer good advice on questions we get all the time: How do I get started as a Science Illustrator? She breaks it down into five steps...

EVENTS

GNSI-DC HOLIDAY PARTY 2013
EVENT DATE: December 17, 2013 - 5:30pm - 8:00pm
LOCATION: Smithsonian Natural History Museum, 10th and Constitution Ave., Washington, D.C.,
Cathy Kerby Room of the NMNH (3rd Floor, East Court, phone: 202-633-2001)

Please join us for this year's GNSI Holiday Pot Luck and Portfolio Share! Join us in a celebration of art and artists! Bring a dish to share and please bring your portfolio, or some samples of your recent work, or anything you would like an opinion on. If you are not an artist, come and see some science art!

ARTIST RESIDENCY PROGRAM AT THE CALIFORNIA ACADEMY OF SCIENCES 2014
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 13, 2013

One Truth, Many Lies: A New View of Art & Natural History Collections, a new Artist Residency Program at the California Academy of Sciences, is seeking applications from West Coast visual artists for 2-3 day residencies in the spring/summer of 2014.

CREATURE DESIGN CONTEST
ENTRY DEADLINE: Dec. 12, 2013

Creature artist Terryl Whitlatch, well known for her work on Star Wars movies, presented a keynote and workshop at last year's GNSI meeting. She has her own production company now and she is holding a creature drawing contest that some of you might be interested in....more information and a link

EXHIBITS

NATURE'S CAMOUFLAGE: GNSI-GNY EXHIBIT
EVENT DATE:
November 9 - December 2, 2014
LOCATION:
The Lofts @ Beacon
18 Front Street, Beacon, NY, 12508
845.831.7867

Nature's Camouflage celebrates select works from the Greater New York chapter of the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators. Camouflage and mimicry subtly surround us in the natural world and these twenty-one artists capture the breadth of this challenging theme in both interesting and inspiring ways.

FOCUS ON NATURE XIII
EXHIBIT DATES: Apr.18, 2014-Jan. 5, 2015

The New York State Museum is pleased to announce the artists selected for the Focus on Nature XIII exhibition. The GNSI has a strong showing of members in the new FON! Twenty-five of the seventy-one artists chosen are GNSI members and are listed here. Congratulations!

FORUM

Improving skills and career possibilities during PhD
"I was wondering, in case I start a PhD (my most plausible destinations being England or Finland), what I could do during that period to still have the chance to possibly purchase a career in SI when I finish."

That's it for now...more to come, check back in regularly for the latest news!

PLEASE NOTE: The Fall issue of the Journal is still in production, but it is nearly ready for print. Please be patient, everyone was particularly busy this season.

Peace and safe travels to all, whether visiting or shopping, and Happy Whatever Holiday(s) you celebrate!
Gail Guth
GNSI Communications & Outreach Director

--
Gail Guth