On 12/10/13 12:22 PM, Christopher Marshall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently been asked about light levels for butterfly specimens being put on display in a public museum space.   I've been asked if there is an 'appropriate' light level that will not rapidly fade the specimen.
Fading is mostly due to UV exposure. All our public display cabinets
have an outer door with UV-proof glass, and it has dramatically
prolonged display longevity despite considerable exposure to light.
>   Has anyone in the museum display arena done a study or published recommendations for light levels that are appropriate.  My first instinct was to have lights that only come on when a viewer is in front of the exhibit or pushes a button.... so that the light was only intermittent -- but the exhibit director is not sure they can do that
Having motion sensors control lights is fairly trivial; the only issue
is that most bulbs suffer from being switched on and off repeatedly.
This is also from first-hand experience.

Peace,