From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Christopher Marshall [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Butterflies on Display -- light levels

Hi all,

I've recently been asked about light levels for butterfly specimens being put on display in a public museum space.   I've been asked if there is an 'appropriate' light level that will not rapidly fade the specimen.  Has anyone in the museum display arena done a study or published recommendations for light levels that are appropriate.  My first instinct was to have lights that only come on when a viewer is in front of the exhibit or pushes a button.... so that the light was only intermittent -- but the exhibit director is not sure they can do that and so has asked if there is a lumen level that might be acceptable.

I quickly searched the ECN archives, but didn't find anything -- but if this thread was already addressed can you post a link?

thanks,
Chris

Christopher Marshall
Curator & Collections Manager