Lower light levels may slow fading, but it will happen with brown's and green's fading first.  Reds/oranges and yellows appear more stable and less subject to fading, as are the blacks.  It also seems that moths fade quicker than butterflies.

Richard L. Brown
Mississippi Entomological Museum
Box 9775
Mississippi State, MS 39762
email:  [log in to unmask]
PH: 662-325-2990

>>> Christopher Marshall <[log in to unmask]> 12/10/2013 2:22 PM >>>
Hi all,

I've recently been asked about light levels for butterfly specimens being put on display in a public museum space.   I've been asked if there is an 'appropriate' light level that will not rapidly fade the specimen.  Has anyone in the museum display arena done a study or published recommendations for light levels that are appropriate.  My first instinct was to have lights that only come on when a viewer is in front of the exhibit or pushes a button.... so that the light was only intermittent -- but the exhibit director is not sure they can do that and so has asked if there is a lumen level that might be acceptable.

I quickly searched the ECN archives, but didn't find anything -- but if this thread was already addressed can you post a link?

thanks,
Chris

Christopher Marshall
Curator & Collections Manager