Hi Fred

I'm not an economist, rather my interest in economics came about because I
discovered an alternative economics that made sense to me as someone who
has studied social theory and economic history. Conventional economics is
absurd. Why study it? How can it generate valid research?

So, I'd broaden your question a little (apologies) and also ask if people
have had any background in other subjects - sociology, economic history,
history, biology, ecology, physics etc. - subjects that permit them to
escape or maintain a distance from the straight jacket of mainstream
economics and bring fresh ideas.

This might work well to elicit ideas about the breadth of research
approaches that can be used and why a research method is chosen. This can
broaden the theoretical frame and our understanding for why a method has
been chosen.

Non of this is essential for the validity of your basic question, but I
have to say that what's also been interesting to me whilst discovering a
better economics has been understanding other people's theoretical
perspectives and the way these have generated research approaches.

I'm thinking of MMT in relation to institutional thinking that contributes
to directing attention away from the 'micro' and towards macro economics,
banking, banks and other social institutions. Of Graeber and his
understanding of the anthropologist's historical record. And of Keen and
his drawing upon calculus and engineering when modelling, and then more
 generally, of biology and emergence in our understanding of complex
systems.

Best wishes, good luck also. Your question sounds like it will be very
fruitful.

Jim

--
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/jimwhitman