Dear Colleagues,

You may know that I am editing a Handbook of Research Methods and Applications in Heterodox Economics.  As part of the introduction to the contributions in the Handbook, I would like to know whether heterodox economists take courses in research methods other than econometrics as part of their doctoral training.  So I have a couple of questions/queries that I would like to have some information about:

University of your Doctoral Economics Program and Years Attended:

Did you program have a course or provide training in research methods other than econometrics?  If so, could you provide a little description.

Did you obtain training in research methods other than econometrics outside of economics while as a doctoral student?  If so, could you provide a little description.

If you used research methods other than econometrics in your dissertation or ongoing research and did not obtain such training as a doctoral student, how did you acquire such research capabilities?

Alternative research methods other than econometrics could be historical, surveys, questionnaires, oral interviews, ethnography-participant observation, experimental, factor analysis, cluster analysis, nonparametric, social network analysis, agent-based computational, case study, and of course others that show up under qualitative research methods.

Any assistance you can give me in this manner will be great.

Sincerely,

Fred Lee

Professor Frederic S. Lee

AFEE President-Elect