Combining arts and sciences is somewhat ironic issue, against the backdrop
of proliferating martial orders and awards, from the relatively-recent
establishment of the equestrian orders to the readily-foreseeable pressure
for distinct C&T orders once a sufficient participant base is established.

I don't see a net positive from combining Art and Science orders, myself.
 In the Hammer meetings now, for instance, there is a minority of folk
present who actually know the ins and outs of any candidate's craft, and I
can't see how adding a large number of people even less connected to any
one particular sort of work would improve things. The one thing it might
actually do would be to reduce the number of meetings by a small number
each year, but those meeting would be twice as large and twice as long,
which is a net negative.

It's certainly true that for the most part, Science works also involve an
element of Art, and the reverse is generally true as well.  Some people are
uncomfortable with even the most trivial ambiguity, but most seem to be
perfectly able to handle it.  We have traditional distinctions to follow in
this, and what is the Society or its Kingdoms if not organizations about
traditions?  I don't see an overriding reason to upset the existing
tradition on this, despite the fact it may have certain warts...warts which
would not necessarily be improved by AoA and GoA unification of A&S awards.

Paul Adler

--
Vince Zahnle
COL, USA, Ret.