Master Gottfried:  Unlike many of the other GOA's, the definition
between the arts and sciences gets either arbitrary, or cheesy.  Yours,
mine, and every body else's. I don't think any craft be it mostly "art"
or "science" can be truly or even partly be  "mastered" without a dose
of the other. Often it depends on an individual's approach to a craft.
Much of the issue comes into play when royalty are faced with an
individual which has in fact clearly reached grant level but when
discussed in one order that order concludes they should be in the other
and when discussed in the other order it also concludes that the
individual should be in the other.  It is the privilege and duty of the
crown to make the final decisions on who gets what awards.  It can
sometimes be forgotten that the counsel and especially  consensus of the
orders is just that: Council.  If the crown does something unexpected a
lot of folks go WTF and get all offended.  The simplest solution would
be one that I too am much opposed to, dispenses with tradition, and
combines the orders._The other solution is:_

HONOR AND RESPECT THE CROWN FOR THEIR TAKING THEIR TIME TO RESEARCH WHAT
THE INDIVIDUAL  HAS DONE, AND FOR MAKING THOSE DIFFICULT DECISIONS!

You can bow all you want but petty grumbling about there decisions shows
the level of sincerity you have in that bow, and for the hard work, time
and money they spend to be in that position, and to make what for all of
us is the highest part of pageantry and inspiration in these current
middle ages: court.

Much of this discussion might be put into better perspective by thinking
for a moment about what awards are.  In my mind they are TOOLS.  That
might surprise some people but think about it.  When one is RECOGNIZED
with an award, It puts a label on them that says this is an honorable
person that knows a fair bit about their craft that can and will teach
you about it if you ask.  They are labeled as a "go to" person.  I would
even say that they have the_responsibility_ to teach and go to the order
meetings and that is why they get the_right_ to wear a particular dubbis
on there person and get to use the HL(or any other) title with there
name.  (What! You mean some people really think there really are rights
and responsibilities!....Oh yeah!)  So first it is a tool for the
populous to identify those with a wee bit of creditability.  Secondly it
is a tool that can be used for inspiration.  To inspire the individual
receiving it, and to inspire those around them.  This is a non profit
organization.  It runs of of passion and inspiration.  The more the
awards the better.

While my recognition has been entirely in the science side of things
(apparently I do nothing pretty ;>) ) and I have been lucky enough to
have been bestowed a peerage.  There are certainly those who are not so
lucky and are seen lacking in some aspect of there participation in the
SCA.  Not always is it under there control.  Perhaps they have physical,
finical, reasons.  Perhaps, like me in my current situation, they do not
have weekends off there job, and can't go to enough events to become
well enough known to be considered at the peerage level. ( I think I
would be in that situation if I were not already a laurel)  This might
be an appropriate place to use the ambiguity between the two orders and
give the other to inspire the individual.  Again this may be a place to
HONOR AND RESPECT THE CROWN FOR THEIR TAKING THEIR TIME TO RESEARCH WHAT
THE INDIVIDUAL  HAS DONE, AND FOR MAKING THOSE DIFFICULT DECISIONS! We
are poling orders not voting ones.