 >The system really isn't broken, and doesn't need fixing, especially when
 >the "fix" doesn't achieve the stated goals and causes so much heartache.
 >That the status quo ante is not aesthetically pleasing to some is not a
 >worthy enough reason.

...and if you combine the arts and sciences into one order, where will
it end?
You'll start hearing people wanting to merge knights and masters into one
Chivalry; merge the fighters and archers into one combined fyrd and one
combined hirth; merge all peerage orders into one ("We do grant Nameless
the
Needless a  Peer of the Realm for his excellence in [specialty]").

In other words, you might actually get something that, according to some
people, would be a lot more period than off-the-cuff SCA accidental....

Alban, who's been hearing such arguments, pro and con, for, oh, 30 years or
more