Gerald, I'm with Tatjana on this one. ASK THEM.

There are two usual approaches to anything. Either someone is able to
make something pretty (swan) and then researches (mallet) to make it
in a period way.  Or they start from research (mallet) and perhaps
(though not necessarily) work towards pretty (swan).

Someone who isn't entering competitions and teaching classes is
probably not going to be considered for elevation anyway.

Ask for a copy (electronic, if possible) of their write-up of their
competition entry, and ditto for class notes.   This is the most
encouraging feedback an entrant or teacher can get.  Someone CARES!!
It's even better if you give them feedback on what you have requested.

Nest ffynon

-----------

How on Gods green earth can we be expected to know there approach and
thinking process that was going on in there head that lead to the
final products they make?

Gerald Goodwine.

-----------

By talking to them.  At Queen's Prize, at Kingdom A&S, at other
events. Talk to their friends.  Express an interest in anyone's
craft, and they will most likely be happy to tell you how they made
it, and the thought process they used to tackle the problems they faced.

As you say, it is extremely rare for all the people at a given
meeting to know every candidate.  But for the candidates you do know,
it takes only a little more effort to find these things out.

In my opinion, anyway.

Mir!
Tatjana