Indeed,  and there are some interesting and subtle problems with Cheri
Ruzich'es article
http://www.donnerbergrottweilers.com/rottweiler-history.html ( Seems all
the info she mentions is in the other article too.)

The first is having trained a dog to heard sheep and watched some
spectacular border collies heard cattle, the dogs seldom if ever nip at
the heals to move the heard.  In any competition this would cause the
dog to be disqualified and for good reason.  The shepherd will position
the dog through his commands and have the dog walk in closer to apply
pressure on the animal being herded.  I have never ever seen a heard
animal just stand there.   It will either move away from the dog OR turn
all the way around and confront the dog head on.  I have seen a border
collie nip at but not actually bite a large steers nose and actually
heard him backwards this way.  They will dart between there legs like
little lighting bolts.   If you have never seen a good heard dog work on
a stubborn animal, especially like a little border collie, you should
seek out something like a state fair trial.  It is absolutely
breathtaking. Even Caias mentions they would stop there horses to watch
the dogs work when they heard a shepherds whistle.  (whistles were often
used as the shrill sounds travel farther and save the shepherds voice)
The other bit of reservation I have about her article in regards to
herding is that herding dogs come in two forms;  gathering and driving.
Hard to think you could train a dog for herding without knowing this
critical piece of information which she does not bother to mention.

Several times she talks about the dogs being used for drafting. This
could be true but I have been looking for primary information on dogs as
draft animals in Europe for 10 years.  I have one drawing that is period
showing such.  I have a French book with an extensive collection of
photos of dogs drafting.  All are late 1800's, and all of the pictures
in the article look very similar to those in that book.  I am not saying
that Rotys didn't draft, just there is no _primary_ proof in the
article.  That's "the bite" as it were.  There are dozens, perhaps
hundreds or thousands of books out there with this same level of
information-more hearsay than fact.

Caias mentions butchers dogs, but in close proximity to herding dogs
leaving a lot of supposition where pulling carts are concerned.  The
tinkers curr carried big budgets containing his tools and metal but
could a budget be a type of cart or wagon?  I think they would be more
like saddle bags which I can document elsewhere.  Am I wrong?