Yes I top post. Gets to the point.

You ask how to catch the invisible. You go where they are.

Nobody in the Society does just one thing. Archers cook, vintners blacksmith, glassmakers costume. And people who work troll do everything. So look outside the arts focused world. People get known for what is MOST visible. But their secondary skill may be just as good. Master Gerald is known as a blacksmith. But he is laureled in Vinting? WTF?

Is your world so limited that the only thing you know about a person comes from your time in the arts pavilion? Or restricted to his vocal quality after three rounds of Kruskin Lan? Work a single troll shift at Lilies, and you'll know their grandmother's middle name. Waterbear, and you'll know what kind of underwear they buy. IOW, look for artisans outside the arts arena.

I say again, I am a member of NO polling order. But I AM a 30 year player. And that alone says I have a responsibility to people of lesser years to go up to them and ask how I can help them do what they would like to do. Sometimes, it's nothing more than making the right introduction.

Promoting the arts not simply holding competitions open to any medium, or teaching classes in a medium of your choice. It's finding an artist, and then finding a way to help HIM get ahead, even if you know nothing about what he does. And in Calontir, EVERYBODY is an artist. Sometimes, what they need is to be pushed out of the arts and into something else. Like service, or archery, or field heraldry. Promoting the arts is about promoting a "whole" person, making the person well rounded.

Laurels don't get households so they can mentor artists. Artists get laureled because they've mentored households.

I now have a personal mission to find both Andy and Gerald an Art. Why? Because they mentioned in passing they are looking for one. And my Pelican slapped that geas on me 30 years ago: pick a person and help them get there.

Last point: Calontiri are grown. We pride ourselves on our second generation. We cultivate our success. You have to plant seeds, water and fertilize, and ripen in the sun. Learning about artists only when they come up for discussion is like buying at the grocery store. You know more when you get your hands dirty.

Sent from my iPhone