Well said Master Gerald

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Jerry Harder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I  certainly am all for doing things as period as possible but there are a lot of things that can get in the way of that.  Lack of good sources,  Safety, Expense, and Humaneness, just to name a few.  This is a medieval recreation organization.  We should not do things "just because its fun"  BUT, We are here to have fun.  We have some very intelligent and creative people all around us.  We should be able to come up with games to play and things to learn that fall between the definitely period and the probably period rather that the probably period and the definitely not.  "The Games" will/should grow in the direction of the definitely period and we will have a blast in "DOING" all along.  I remember fighting in carpet and a freon can I wouldn't be caught dead in (or allowed on the field in) today.  There is room for a little BS as filler but lets not go swimming in it.  I am sure the 4-H stuff isn't "crap", even if it isn't period.  Just like the freon can helm, it will fall by the wayside when something better ( more period and more fun) comes along to replace it and it is no longer needed.  It is for those involved in an activity seek it.  Part of the fun is being the one to discover that new book with the cool "new" medieval stuff in it. There is a place to find balance.  But don't expect that balance point to stay put around this laurel.  I'll be kick'in it around some.

Master Gerald