Combining arts and sciences is somewhat ironic issue, against the backdrop of proliferating martial orders and awards, from the relatively-recent establishment of the equestrian orders to the readily-foreseeable pressure for distinct C&T orders once a sufficient participant base is established.

I don't see a net positive from combining Art and Science orders, myself.  In the Hammer meetings now, for instance, there is a minority of folk present who actually know the ins and outs of any candidate's craft, and I can't see how adding a large number of people even less connected to any one particular sort of work would improve things. The one thing it might actually do would be to reduce the number of meetings by a small number each year, but those meeting would be twice as large and twice as long, which is a net negative.

It's certainly true that for the most part, Science works also involve an element of Art, and the reverse is generally true as well.  Some people are uncomfortable with even the most trivial ambiguity, but most seem to be perfectly able to handle it.  We have traditional distinctions to follow in this, and what is the Society or its Kingdoms if not organizations about traditions?  I don't see an overriding reason to upset the existing tradition on this, despite the fact it may have certain warts...warts which would not necessarily be improved by AoA and GoA unification of A&S awards.

Paul Adler