http://literature.britishcouncil.org/peter-ackroyd

Novelist, biographer and poet Peter Ackroyd was born in London on 5 October
1949.

In both his fiction and non-fiction writing, Peter Ackroyd places a
particular emphasis on exploring and chronicling the city of London, its
history, literature, culture and people. He often does this through
depicting the city's writers and artists as either fictional characters or
biographical subjects.  Consequently, Ackroyd is often defined as a 'London
writer', and in this he follows in the footsteps of other London literary
figures, many of whom feature in both his fiction and his non-fiction:
Charles Dickens, William Blake, Thomas More, Thomas Chatterton, John
Milton, Oscar Wilde and T.S. Eliot. Ackroyd comments: 'London has always
provided the landscape for my imagination. It becomes a character - a
living being - within each of my books' (Peter Ackroyd profile,*Guardian
online: guardian.co.uk <http://guardian.co.uk>*, 22 July 2008).

Awards:
2003 CBE
2003 British Book Awards Illustrated Book of the Year, Illustrated London,
shortlist
2001 South Bank Show Annual Award for Literature, London: The Biography
1998 James Tait Black Memorial Prize (for biography), The Life of Thomas
More
1988 Booker Prize for Fiction, Chatterton, shortlist
1985 Whitbread Novel Award, Hawksmoor
1985 Guardian Fiction Prize, Hawksmoor
1984 Whitbread Biography Award, T. S. Eliot
1984 Somerset Maugham Award, The Last Testament of Oscar Wilde
1984 Heinemann Award, T. S. Eliot, joint winner

Maestra Suzanne de la Ferté
Kingdoms of Calontir and Northshield

*Da ambiente e ospitalità sono la bellezza*
*From ambiance and hospitality come beauty*

*Mangiare! Mangiare! Siete tuttu troppo sotille!*
*Eat! Eat! You're all too thin!*