While I'm not a leatherworker, as far as traveling drums go, I recently got a bodhran for Christmas, and it's lightweight and easy to use.  Frame is wood, with crossbraces on the inside used as a handhold.  Different sound than a dumbek, but I like it.  Just tossing it out as an option to consider.

-Johann