What an cool idea!  Let us know how it turns out.  Also, give Finola a gentle hug for me.

Hertha

From: "Jenna" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 10:49:40 AM
Subject: [CALONTIR] Leather drum

I was just wondering, has anyone ever tried making the body of a dumbek out of hardened leather?  For a small sized drum for traveling, it might be an idea.  I remember how nerve wracking it is to try to travel with a ceramic drum, so heavy and breakable.

I don't know what the sound would be like.  It would be better to put the smooth side of the leather on the inside to keep the sound cleaner.

I've drummed idly on a leathern jack before.  If I knew anything about hardening leather I'd be tempted to try to make a drum this way.  Just the body of the drum in hardened hide, put the head on separate of some more appropriate material.  If it worked it would be keen.

Jenna