HAIL TO GENTLES FROM FAR AND NEAR…as Estrella War XXX approaches, Atenveldt warmly greets you, and bids you welcome here!
KNOWN WORLD Jan 13, 2014 Estrella War Announcement Digest (Please use the reference numbers next to the bolded categories to find the topics you wish to find out more about).
1. ACCEPS is OPEN, Deadline is Feb. 10, 2014
2. Front Gate Needs Your Assistance – If you as an individual or your Barony, Shire, Canton, College, or Household would like to volunteer or “sponsor” a shift at Front Gate, please come join us in greeting travelers to this event.
3. A&S Classes and Demonstrations - You are cordially invited to share your art, skill or special knowledge of these current Middle Ages to an eager group of students. Interactive arts and science demonstrations will be offered.
4. Volunteers Needed - Everyone working at the Estrella War, from the main Event Coordinators to the person you see standing at the entrance directing traffic, is an unpaid volunteer.
5. Host our EMTs - The Keepers of the Estrella War EMTs ask your assistance in showing our famous hospitality to the four gentlemen who keep us safe during the week of War by provided them with Breakfast and/or Dinner.
Pre-registration for Estrella War XXX is OPEN but it will CLOSE on February 10, 2014. So do not wait get pre-registered today at: http://acceps.ansteorra.org/EW2014/ew_event_main.php
The advantages to pre-registration will include the $15 savings as well as the ability to come in on Tuesday (General Admission does not open until Wednesday) and guaranteed camping space for each pre-registered person.
For more information on Preregistration visit www.estrellawar.org.
We look forward to seeing you at the War!
Front Gate Needs Your Assistance
Estrella War XXX is fast approaching and we are in need of smiling faces to check people at the Front Gate.
The Front Gate operates continuously from the opening of the gates for those that have not pre-registered on Wednesday Feb 26th 7AM until Saturday March 1st midnight; this provides ample opportunity to meet your “2 hours of volunteer time” and since everyone has to pass through Front Gate to enter War what better place to be to ensure you get to see those friends you know are coming but you have no idea where they will be camping!
We would love to have Baronies, Shires, Cantons, Colleges, and Households to volunteer to “sponsor” a shift at Front Gate. By sponsoring a shift a group provides most or all of the people needed for the Front Gate to operate during that time. Shifts vary in length from 2 to 8 hours. During the day 7 to 8 people are typically needed, but for the night shifts as few as 4 can fully staff the area but the more people, the more fun you can have.
If your group is unable to coordinate a shift sponsorship we still have a need for warranted officers, especially seneschals, exchequers, reeves, and their deputies to run the registers. Estrella War financial policy strongly suggests that the registers be staffed by these individuals over 21 years of age because of the money handling concerns. Please ask your officers to consider donating their volunteer time at Front Gate.
For anyone who might be interested in taking on a greater role in a future Estrella War, the position of Shift Leader may be of interest. These individuals coordinate the efforts of the other Front Gate volunteers under the guidance of the Front Gate Coordinator; this position is recommended as the first step to take in the path of eventually petitioning for the office of Estrella Front Gate Coordinator.
Volunteering at Troll is an excellent place for new or inexperienced members in the SCA; you’ll meet lots of people, get to see how a major event is run; and best of all it’s an easy job to do!
Mistress Katrina von Rosenberg
Estrella War XXX Front Gate Coordinator
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 480-807-5612 no calls after 9:00pm please
A&S Classes and Demonstrations INSTRUCTORS NEEDED!
We want Estrella War XXX to be an event to be remembered for years to come and in order to do that, we need your help. Therefore, you are cordially invited to share your art, skill or special knowledge of these current Middle Ages to an eager group of students. Your classes can be as short as one hour and as long as a full day. Classes will be held Wednesday through Saturday, February 26-March 1, 2014 and begin at 9AM and finish by 6PM each day. You are also welcome to offer your class(es) at multiple times or days. If you have special requirements for the class, you may contact the Collegium Coordinator to discuss these requirements.
Estrella War XXX Collegium will be bigger and better than ever before. Classes will be held in all categories, including arms/armour, cooking, clothing, sciences, manuscript arts, performing arts, textiles, brewing, metalwork, leatherwork, heraldry and more. The classes will be held from Wednesday, February 26, 2014 through Saturday, March 1, 2014 and are open to anyone attending the war. Each day, classes begin at 9 AM and the last class will be finished by 6 pm to allow attendees to enjoy the evening festivities.
Classes are generally free, unless the instructor requests a material fee in the class description. See the class schedule for class dates, times, any associated materials fees, class size limits and age limits. Schedules will be posted on this website, in the gatebook, on kiosks throughout the war site and at the collegium. You may sign up the day of the classes starting at 8 AM and the classes are filled on a first come, first served basis. There will be wait lists for classes that have been filled and if there are any cancellations or no shows, the spaces will be filled from the wait lists.
· As in 2013, the classes will be arranged in Colleges of related topics, which makes finding the classes you are interested in much easier! The colleges are:
· The College of War; i.e., arms and amour, war machines, historical combat strategies, bowery/fletching, etc.
· The College of Culinary Arts
· The College of Clothing; Historical clothing, footwear, and accessories
· The College of Sciences
· The College of Manuscript Arts; parchment/paper making, inks, calligraphy and illuminations, book binding, cartography, etc.
· The College of Performing arts; music, spoken, dance, puppetry, juggling, etc.
· The College of Textile arts
· The College of the trades; woodworking, leather working. Brewing, metal work, ceramics, glass making, etc.
· College of Heraldry
There will be an area set aside for participants to work on unfinished projects, wait for the next class to start or just soak up the artsy inspirational atmosphere.
Arts & Sciences Demonstrations
Interactive arts and science demonstrations will be offered in conjunction, and at the same location, as the arts and sciences Collegium. Four workshops will be set up for artisans use to demonstrate their art or science. Workshops are scheduled in three-hour blocks. An artisan may also request the booth for the duration of the entire day, or offer to demonstrate their art on two different days.
These demonstrations are not for observation only, but to afford the person viewing the rare opportunity to try their hand at the art form being demonstrated. Imagine yourself emerged in an art form you have always wanted to try! Nothing gives you a deeper appreciation of an art form that to experience it for yourself.
Please help us to promote the arts and sciences and inspire new artisans. Nothing is as rewarding as to see that spark ignite in someone’s eyes when they get their first taste of the pure potentiality of the artistic creative process. Demonstrations are a no fuss way
to share your passion and expertise.
Everyone working at the Estrella War, from the main Event Coordinators to the person you see standing at the entrance directing traffic, is an unpaid volunteer. They work to make the Estrella War happen for many reasons.
· It’s fun to interact with people from all over the SCA world! We have people from as far as Sweden and Germany attend, so come meet them all!
· You can make new, lasting friendships! There’s nothing like the bonding that happens when people work together.
· You get a front row seat for lots of things! Field supporters and marshals get an “up close” view of the heavy combat, rapier, and youth combat.
Hosting our EMT’s for Breakfast or Dinner
It is that time of year again when the Keepers of the Estrella War EMTs ask your assistance in showing our famous hospitality to the four gentlemen who keep us safe during the week of Estrella War. If your Kingdom, Barony, or Household would be willing host our EMTs for either breakfast or dinner during the week, please contact Lady Rowan at [log in to unmask] with the following information:
Meal Time (Breakfast or Dinner)
Date you wish to host
Approximate Meal Time
Approximate Camping Location (Please list your Kingdom, Barony and Household name so that we can find you at the actual War)
Contact Name/s (Mundane and SCA)
If you will have a phone available on site, a phone number
Please note that depending on the day, there will be 4 men to accommodate. These four gentlemen are celebrating their 8th year of service with us and one of the greatest times they have at our event is sharing meals with the multiple households from all of the different Kingdoms. We thank you in advance for your assistance in helping host our guests and we look forward to hearing from everyone!
Yours In Service,
Baroness Natalia and Lady Rowan
PLEASE CROSS POST