You can’t document heads prior to the late 17th century, rings is barely in
period and the source it is based on is questionable.  Pig sticking the way
it is done in the SCA is pure stupidity from a hunting point of view. Who
spears something that heavy and rotates it above their head?  So there go
three of the “games” right out the window. The carry the princess doll, beer
mug racing, egg and spoon and other 4H/pony club type games are not.  ( Sure
“they might have” but can you document it?)   arena based “trail” challenges
and the like are all modern day 4H crap.  Crests is not period, but wearing
them is.  I can go on but I won’t.  There was and still a lot of “who is to
say” stuff without documentation because that is easier than doing the
research. ( I do research on equestrian stuff and don’t find it all that
difficult other than the amazing lack of period resources on the topic)
LEDs on barding, sure they had them in the Middle ages , along with M-16s
and Phantom jets.

So what is documentable? (At least what I’ve found and done research on)

Quintain

Mounted Combat ( if you use clubben rules)

Jousting

Mounted Archery

Thrown Spear and javelin

Reeds

Polo like games (Asian/Middle Eastern)

Races ( They were a contact sport in some areas)

Hauling with a wagon or cart

Chariots

Processionals

Whatever that crazy Mongol ring game is called

“Stunt” riding

Stuff I’m looking for:

A better source for mounted sword training ( heads)  and rings.

 I am working on finding the obstacles and hazards a warhorse was trained to
deal with. ( The one’s I remember are:fire/smoke, jumping, decaying corpses,
loud noises, but there were at least six more) It is driving me crazy since
I had the source in my hands back in Erie and can’t find it now.

I’m not saying that we should stop doing the 4H stuff or inventing new
“might have been done” games, it would just be better if the stuff that is
obviously modern or undocumentable wasn’t treated as if it were period and
thus making the SCA look like romper room for medieval studies.

Take care,

Alexander

  _____