Hi,   Jan 4, 2014

I hope this doesn't come too late for Tricia Cassady's question.
Here are some references that might be useful:

Sally Gregory Kohlstedt, *Teaching Children Science: Hands-On Nature Study
in North America 1890-1930/  *(University of Chicago Press, 2010). Although
there is very little on drawing and art as part of nature study, the notes
should lead you to lots of material. Kohlstedt includes a 1919
advertisement for "Outline Drawings of Common Animals," drawn by Louis
Agassiz Fuertes, sold by Comstock Publishing Company in Ithaca NY ( figure
28, p 219). Primary sources are likely to be digitized at
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org

 *Emanuel D. Rudolf's Studies in the History of North American Botany with
an Appendix on the Relationship between Science and Religion*, R.L. Stuckey
and W.R. Burk, eds. 2000. ISBN 1-889878-05-7 (paper, no price given). 376
pp. Botanical Research Institute of Texas, Fort Worth, Texas, USA. I
haven't seen this myself, but here's a review/obituary
http://www.botany.org/bsa/psb/2002/psb48-2.html#Emanuel

My own paper (mentioned before on SCIART), "When the botanist can't draw:
The case of Linnaeus," INTERDISCIPLINARY SCIENCE REVIEWS, 2004, VOL. 29,
NO. 3, 248-258  alludes to an older colleague's unhappy experience with
required drawings in botany class. (See also Isabelle Charmantier 's
excellent critique, "Carl Linnaeus and the Visual Representation of
Nature," *Historical Studies in the Natural Sciences,*41:4 (2011), 7-25.)

Alphonso Wood's late 19th century textbooks might be useful. In *"The
American botanist and florist : including lessons in the structure, life,
and growth of plants
<https://archive.org/details/americanbotanist00wood> *he writes
" Specimens of leaves, stems, roots, fruit, flowers, etc., in unlimited
supply are re-quisite during the whole course. In the absence of the
living, let the dried specimens of the herbarium be consulted. Crayon
sketches upon the blackboard, if truthful, are always good for displaying
minute or obscure forms. In the city, classes in Botany may employ, at
small expense, a collector to supply them daily with fresh specimens from
the country. "

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/15543#page/17/mode/1up

Thanks, Judith, for the link to JenniferLandin's thesis, "Perceptual
Drawing as a Learning Tool in a College Biology  Laboratory." Thanks,
Tania, for the Grolier Club exhibition catalogue reference.

Karen

========