On 1/17/14 1:15 AM, janlan wrote:
> Hello,
> Thank you very much for all the information!  I actually found a slightly older, Lion OS, Macbook
> Pro for $1299 today (- warranty).  Frys sold me their in store 3 year warranty, however, isn't
> Apple-Care/Warranty better and more helpful, even if it costs about an extra $100-$150?

If you live near an apple store, the extra $100 might be worth it for the convenience of direct
service. But you should check to see if they will offer the warranty on an older machine.

> Has anyone ever had Apple replace their laptop if it couldn't be fixed?
If it is under warranty, sure.

> It has an i7-quad core: 2.3 ghz up to 3.3 ghz with turbo boost
> 500 gb hard drive
> Nvidia GT 650 M - 512 mb discrete graphics card
> 4 gb of ram.
>
> I would hope to upgrade it to a 1 tb hard drive, with possibly 8 gb of ram, if it seems necessary.
> A dual boot system with Windows 7 and Apple, hopefully will work well.
Depending on what model laptop you are getting, upgrading RAM and Hard drive on your own could be
difficult.  If there is not a removable battery, access to drives and memory is harder. You would
likely want a professional to do it.

> Can Apple computers, accept almost any hardware, ie: hard drives/ram etc, or do the parts have to be
> Mac certified so it might cost more to upgrade than with a PC?
Hard Drives are very standard. And the RAM should be listed as MAC compatible, but does not have to
be Apple Certified. Crucial is a good source for RAM.

> I'm sure this graphics card is not recommended for Adobe Premier, but maybe it would suit my needs
> for Photoshop/ArcGIS.  I'll have to see if it's Open GL, I think ArcGIS prefers that as well.
The card Looks decent, has OpenCL and CUDA, so it depends on what your software can utilize.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications

But no OpenGL. ArcGIS seems to use a little OpenGL, but no OpenCL or CUDA.
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/54843-Specs-for-a-New-Computer-to-Specifically-Run-ArcGIS-Graphics-Question

Photoshop uses some OpenGL and OpenCL, so this card is only some help.

> Can a file system, with folders be directly copied from a Windows PC, to install on a Windows
> Partition on an Apple?  Will Windows running on a Mac, operate exactly how, Windows operates on a
> PC, or could there be technical difficulties, and perhaps program errors?
The should be no program errors, there may be a few interface and communications hiccups, but it has
been a while since I used windows on the Mac. I would look to see if Parallels and VMware are
utilizing multiple cores at this point, I expect they have the interface issue under control by now.

to the best of my knowledge, If you boot into native PC mode with the Apple software, you have a PC
and can do anything you would do between two PCs for transfer.

THese threads may be helpful:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/4071/using-arcgis-10-on-a-virtual-machine-with-osx
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/hey-im-trying-download-ArcGis-49657.S.207130707

Hope this helps.