I was thinking along those lines myself.

Late in my life I am in a relationship with a widow who has two grown (but
not grown-up) kids, a boy, who still lives with his mom, and a girl who has
moved out.  We don't live together, mainly because of the boy still being at
home.he and I get along super but I think that our friendship might falter
if we were living in the same house.  The girl moved into with her boyfriend
and his family, but that broke up and she's now with me, at least
temporarily.and that works out since she's hardly ever here (she already has
a new boyfriend.oh to be young)..

BUT, none of them, thus their friends and colleagues, are from "my" world.
And it is astounding to me when I come up against "ordinary" people.people
who don't have a hawk spending the winter in the furnace room while
recovering from head trauma; who don't have preserved zoological specimens
tucked here and there; who don't have massive reference libraries, who don't
comment on the appearance of clouds, who don't automatically kill spiders,
who have a dead whatever in the freezer (but is a vegan in their diet as I
and one group of my friends are) or runs toward, not away from, snakes, or
whose camera is virtually never aimed at humans, or is not fanatical but is
careful, about saving energy or properly recycling, or has "ugly creatures"
as screen-savers and so on and on.

It doesn't help that I read non-fiction, don't watch television other than
news shows and documentaries and I haven't heard of any of a wide range of
"celebrities" they seem to know intimately.   In short, they are "ordinary
people".

But the biggest difference is this:   They work at jobs they don't like!
Not in the sense that they'd do the work whether paid or not.   My
jobs.artist, writer, animal protectionist.are all complimentary and I enjoy
and would do each of them paid or not, and far from looking forward to
getting away from them, I look forward to doing them.   They, this other
group of friends and acquaintances, don't.

That's why I stayed a bachelor.I knew that I'd wouldn't earn a good living
doing what I enjoyed doing (unless I met Miss Right who felt the same.alas,
I never did) and so now I have this comfortable relationship and it's
working out fine except that my tongue is sore from biting it so as not to
express my own shock at so much of what they say.

I could be wrong, but I think that as artists who do, in varying degrees and
in varying ways, representational work - realism - even if it's entirely by
computer (I am entirely old fashioned traditionalist in my own work) we SEE
the physical world more clearly than "ordinary" folks.   I am forever noting
how the light hits the edge of a twig, or the shape of shadows, the texture
of a rock or wall or whatever, and I'm pretty sure we all do the same.

But I think (and, as I say, could be wrong) that this habit also makes us
more analytical than those "ordinary people".   I can't say that to them
without sounding horribly elitist, so I shut up, but I find that they tend
to make assumptions unfounded by anything close to facts.   My other friends
are far less inclined to do that.artists and advocates both.

It's just a theory, but often sitting with 'them", although they may be fun
or entertaining to be with, I still feel a little like I've fallen down the
rabbit-hole.

Barry