Agreed.  In fact, I'm a vegan (diet and clothing) or at least "veganish" (I
know a few folks who are self-righteously fanatical about it, and I am not
one of them) and try to find non-animal art products whenever I can, but
it's very difficult.   I hope to test a new "vegan" watercolour soon.   And
not only that, I work on animal trade issues as well, and have attended
several Conferences of the Parties to CITES.  But that said, I've always
heard that the hairs used tend to be at least a by-product of the fur trade.

Mustelids don't really do well in captivity (although we are often told they
do) due to their high metabolism, activity and home range sizes.there is a
lot of stress-related illness in them.   I have found that synthetics work
for me for all but the finest brush (WN 000 Series 7), but that's just me
and my particular style of work.   I don't do washes as such.

I also find, and this is a bit embarrassing, that even at a rather advanced
age, I keep discovering new ways of doing things, with the same old
materials, or with new ones.

Barry

Barry Kent MacKay

Bird Artist, Illustrator