-----Original Message-----
From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James A Perkins
Sent: Friday, 17 January 2014 2:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] upgrading and Adobe

In theory, the online "cloud" model of licensing software should
actually bring prices DOWN. Software companies have always said that
piracy is one of the main reasons for the high cost of software. The
development costs are fixed. If fewer people buy it, those costs are are
passed on to those of us who actually purchase legitimate copies, while
pirates continue to use it for free. The cloud model should take a big
bite out of piracy, and Adobe just might pass those savings along to the
rest of us.

Of course, a cynic would say that Adobe will just pocket the savings as
higher profits. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Jim

On 1/16/14 5:52 PM, "Smith Will (Toowong)"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Does this assume that the nice people at Adobe will not raise the price

>massively in 4 years time when everyone has changed to subscription?
>
>Will Smith
>Project Officer (Botanical Imaging)
>Queensland Herbarium
>Science Delivery
>Department of Science, IT, Innovation and the Arts (DSITIA)

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
instructions at

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. They may only be used for the purposes for which they were supplied. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited.
The privilege of confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you receive this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.

Please note: the Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts carries out automatic software scanning, filtering and blocking of E-mails and attachments (including emails of a personal nature) for detection of viruses, malicious code, SPAM, executable programs or content it deems unacceptable. All reasonable precautions will be taken to respect the privacy of individuals in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). Personal information will only be used for official purposes, e.g. monitoring Departmental Personnel's compliance with Departmental Policies. Personal information will not be divulged or disclosed to others, unless authorised or required by Departmental Policy and/or law.