All these fascinating "Rabbit Hole" stories have inspired a question:

Since Holly mentioned donating a barred owl to a state park after she "rescued" it's body from the grill of a car - does anyone have any experience trying to obtain a permit to keep these found specimens? As I understand it, it's not entirely legal to have the bodies of wildlife in one's freezer - or even long dead, dried artifacts around the house - unless they were hunted during an official season and you paid for the license to do so. However, knowing many friends involved in the academic sciences, there are "research permits" that they regularly obtain in order to collect specimens while traveling (those specimens obviously should end up in a lab or official archive somewhere, butů). Anyone know if there is a similar type of research permit for people in our profession? I don't feel like I'm in immediate danger of being found out by my local fish and wildlife department, but I also would prefer to operate within the rules. Just curious.

Cheers,
-Natalya