From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Taina Litwak
Sent: Friday, 17 January 2014 12:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] upgrading and Adobe

Hi Linda and Marge - and all -

I went through this recently too, and the pain made me squirm also.  Had been running CS4 on Mac OS 10.5.  Plain old started over.  Got Mavrick (10.9) and bought a new version - NOT the monthly fee - of CS6 and will buy lightroom once I get time.  Did all the math, and I generally skip several upgrades, and make a version last for 4-5 years.  Divide that out vs the monthly fee for CS6 and buying it was cheaper for me than the subscription.   Also did have to buy a new Microsoft Office version as the old one would not even load onto Mavrick.

The way I look at it:  back in the day I spent at least $600 on art supplies and Fed-X a year.  Now I divide out the price of the computers (2 actually, desktop and laptop for travel work) which seem to last 5 - 8 yrs and the software packages and its its fairly comparable.  Its just the price of being in the illustration business.  I had to get over the idea that these things should only have to be purchased once.  Now in my head they are all in the category of art supplies that get used up and have to be replaced at a certain regular pace.  It is all enough to make you crazy though.

Taina

--
Taina Litwak
Litwak Illustration Studio

tel: 301-527-0569
mobile: 240-750-9245

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. They may only be used for the purposes for which they were supplied. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited.
The privilege of confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you receive this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.

Please note: the Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts carries out automatic software scanning, filtering and blocking of E-mails and attachments (including emails of a personal nature) for detection of viruses, malicious code, SPAM, executable programs or content it deems unacceptable. All reasonable precautions will be taken to respect the privacy of individuals in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). Personal information will only be used for official purposes, e.g. monitoring Departmental Personnel's compliance with Departmental Policies. Personal information will not be divulged or disclosed to others, unless authorised or required by Departmental Policy and/or law.