Fifty! OhMyWow.....

great stories!
Linda
_____________________
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538

On Jan 17, 2014, at 10:15 AM, Karen Ackoff wrote:

OK, all. Have I got a story for you.

I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I did not put my glasses on, so I am basically blind. But I noticed some movement in the toilet bowl (before I sat down). I got my glasses and there was an exhausted mouse doggie paddling. It was a domestic mouse (my neighbors had been "losing" a host of pets and had not mastered the art of keeping the cage door closed). I scooped the poor little one out of the toilet and it collapsed. I set it on a paper towel an watched it. It began to twitch a little. I gave it a blow dry on low, and it began to twitch some more. I got it dry and popped it into a large empty peanut butter jar with holes in the lid. It made it through the weekend. I found it a home in a 1st grade classroom where it lived til it died of old age.

Better off than at my neighbor's house. It only would have escaped again, and their house was also infested with roaches. Their landlord finally forbade them to have pets of any kind (they also would let cats loose when they didn't want them any more).

I also caught a hamster that was running around. It got into a small space next to a sink cabinet. I inserted a long dowel with a little piece of cardboard on the end to "herd" it back out. It, too, ended up as a classroom pet.

I do like mice but not when they invade. Some renters across the street were evicted (for good reason), and their substantial mouse population invaded my house. I have pets, so poisons are not a good option (when I do use them, I am careful to use ones that do not poison the hawk that eats the mouse that has eaten the poison). I had no choice to but use traps. I caught about 50 mice in 2 weeks. I have since moved out, cleaned everything thoroughly, and there is no evidence of mice. But it was quite a battle.